Monday, March 14, 2011

Cake Contributions

I thought I would share some great cakes with you all that I helped with. Most of the work was done by THE pastrygirl herself, owner of Pastrygirl, and my mentor, Laura Widener. I just helped on some small details, but am nonetheless proud of the small role I played in each piece :)

Here is a lovely pumpkin patch. The "dirt" is actually cookie crumbs. I helped make the pumpkins and the leaves.


So cute, this little girl loved vegetable gardens and so wanted one for her birthday cake. I made the tomatoes.


We had never heard of Wow Wow Wubbzy until a customer requested a cake with the character...I made the tiny bird on top and covered the 3 shaped rice crispy treat with fondant.


This was a 40th birthday cake-you can barely read the message on top of the stump, but that's how they wanted it, very subtle so the birthday boy wouldn't freak out any more about turning the big 4-0. I made most of the mushrooms, except for the ones actually on the stump.


Marzipan ferns that I made for an amazing winter wedding cake.


The cake all put together. I also sugared the rosemary and covered the cakeboard with marzipan, ran some lines over it to resemble wood, then brushed on cocoa powder for a little dimension.


This was for the gingerbread house competition at the Providence Festival of Trees last December. I made the little stockings and rolled out the "gingerbread" and cut out the tiny gingerbread men. Let me tell you, that was not easy to get them so small!


Here is a look at the entire thing. I wish I could have contributed more, but alas, most of the work was done on a snowy day when I couldn't get down to work!


Our entry won the People's Choice Award!
We are already brainstorming ideas for next year's entry...

Even though my contributions may be small, I felt very proud :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is some amazing work! I especially love the veggie garden and the Christmas scene!

    P.S. I FINALLY responded to your post on my blog. Sorry it took me so long!

    http://aredenvelope.blogspot.com/2011/03/diy-hardware-jewelry.html

    ReplyDelete